Lodestar Trio is a ground-breaking new collaboration between stars of the Scandinavian folk scene Erik Rydvall and Olav Mjelva, and British violin virtuoso Max Baillie. Together they bring a spirit of groove and improvisation into Baroque music, bringing it into the sound world of folk where the Swedish nyckelharpa and the Norwegian hardanger fiddle meet the violin.
Their repertoire includes pieces from the Bach cello suites, from the sonatas and partitas for solo violin, all played in Lodestar’s own trio arrangements, and other Baroque works by Merula and Couperin, alongside traditional Nordic tunes. The trio has played across Europe including the Netherlands Bach Society Centenary Festival, FolkBaltica Festival, and the Bremen Sendesaal.
- “Fascinating debut album…” https://worldmusiccentral.org/2022/10/12/lodestar-trios-bach-to-folk/ – World Music Central, USA
- ☆☆☆☆ “Lodestar do much more than shine a different light on Bach’s pieces, they make them anew.” – Songlines, UK
- “The new compositions I personally find are as strong as all the old compositions…” – Moors Magazine, Netherlands
- Aired on BBC Radio 3 Essential Classics by Georgia Mann September 2022 – @ 9:12 into the show, UK
- “You can feel the happiness as a listener… Every note of the trio conveys lightness and joy…” – Folker, Germany (online link available soon)
- “The beginning of a fresh, exciting and sustainable concept…” – Era Jazzu, Poland
- “Det e’ jaevlig bra! This is So good.” – bgfm.radio, Wales
- “The album is presented with a very accurate title: it really connects Bach with Nordic folk” – JazzQuad, Russia